Monday, March 14, 2011

The Power of Mail




I love getting personal mail. And today, I got this lovely letter from an Oregon friend. When Clare was born, I'd take her out with me daily to get the mail. However, it was simply across the street in a huge box with 15 other mail slots that were shared by neighbors. Today, we continue that daily adventure. It's down the long driveway of the lake house (and through a lot of snow the past two months). Why is a card so powerful? Or better yet, why is a long handwritten letter so powerful? This piece of mail was the first thing I opened. I melted. It was like getting a warm fuzzy from your classmates in third grade or a letter from your pen pal in Fargo, North Dakota. I love the power of email, text messages, and tweets. But there is so much more value in good old fashioned ink that screams "thanks for being my friend."

I think I need to add a few things to my goals for 2011: 1) find a pen pal and 2) send a warm fuzzy to my BFF's.

No comments: